Diabetes Self-Management and Education Program (DSMEP)
Mission:Improve the diabetes management and diabetes outcomes of uninsured diabetic Latino patients whose uncontrolled blood sugar levels pose a major threat to their health.
Typical Saturday Class Agenda
8:00AM - All case managers arrive at the clinic to look over patients’ charts and help set up the room.
8:30AM – Patients who have a physician’s appointment arrive.
9:00-9:30AM – All other patients arrive. Optional walking group.
9:30-10:00AM – Patients and case managers meet one-on-one.
10:00-10:10AM – Breathing exercise.
10:10-10:40AM – Class.
10:40-11:30AM – Three patients share their experience with last month’s action plan.
11:30-12:00PM – Create new action plan.
12:00PM – See you next month!
2014-2015 Class Topics and Important Points
October - What is Diabetes?
- Definition of diabetes & blood sugar levels
- How to use a glucometer
November – Diabetes In More Detail & Anatomy
- Definition of HbA1C
- Vital organs affected by diabetes
- Medications and vital organs
December – Nutrition Part #1
- Fast and healthy cooking demonstration
- Healthy food options
- Food portions and serving sizes
January – Exercise/Cardiovascular Disease
- Types of exercises
- How much should one exercise?
- Importance of exercise for a healthy heart
February – Neuropathy, Retinopathy & Oral Health
- Neuropathy affects our nerves
- Retinopathy affects our eyes
- Periodontal disease
March – Nutrition Part #2
- How to read a nutrition facts label
- Proteins, carbohydrates, and fats
- The different aisles in a grocery store
April – Depression & Stress Management
- Difference between depression and stress
- Diabetes and stress
- Strategies to manage stress
May – Graduation
- Game show on diabetes-related topics covered in class
- Completion certificates given to patients for successfully completing the program
- Survey patients about the class
UC IRVINE OUTREACH CLINICS
1215 E. Chapman Avenue
Orange, California 92866
Gabriela Pauli. MS3. DSMEP Co-coordinator.
Miriam Ramos. Biological Sciences, B.S. DSMEP Co-Coordinator.
Health Scholars Program Website - www.healthscholarsprogram.org